Saturday, March 16, 2013

Limping Across the Finish Line...

 
"... But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 
 I press on toward the goal to win the prize
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Phillipians 3:12-16  NIV
 
 
I love this beautiful picture from the 1992 Olympics when Olympic runner, Derek Redmond, tore a hamstring within finishing distance but barely able to walk, let alone run. 
 His father, watching in the stands, ran to the field and assisted his son to limp across the finish line. 
 One of the most breathtaking moments,
witnessed by a speechless
and spellbound crowd watching all over the world. 
 
Remembering this moment, it made me think of my own brokenness in life at times.  How many people have 'left the stands' to come along side me to assist me across the finish line?  Where would I be today, without the loving, selfless, compassion of so many that God has sent to me when I was too broken to get up and go on?
 
I have fallen down more often than I would really like to recount.  The plain truth is, I'd probably just have stayed where I dropped, had I not been hoisted up by the compassion and generosity of a much loved son, a cherished daughter,
a godly counselor, a disabled senior citizen, a friend I hadn't talked with in years, who "just happened to call" or a brand new friend, I just met on the Internet, who spoke a word of loving encouragement to me when I most needed it.
 
To all of the above and the many, many others I cannot even recall, I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there when I needed it most, even if you didn't realize I had "broken a hamstring" and the pain was too much to continue...  It is God our Father who sent you to me at just the right moment and I am profoundly grateful to you all for the loving kindness you have showered on me. 
 
I do, indeed, "press on toward the goal 
to win the prize for which God
has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
And all along the way, God is taking snapshots of each of you "leaving the stands" to help a broken and bruised runner cross the finish line.  When I get there, I will smile looking back at you for all you did for me along the way. 
I would never, ever, make it without YOU!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you doing on your journey with the Lord? Started yet? Still searching. My prayer is that you will be encouraged to seek after Him with all your heart. Without a doubt, you will find Him. He is searching for YOU!