Monday, November 21, 2011

The Crazy Old Man...



As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful to God for my family, sometimes a little 'crazy', often blind to our own faults, while we see through a magnifying glass the faults of our brothers and sisters!  In the middle of passing the turkey, the mashed potatoes and the pumpkin pie, I mostly want to say, Thank You, Lord, for the family you gave me! Help us to imitate You and go a little crazy loving each other. Warts and all!

Here's another Jesus story (one of my favorites!) re-told. 
'The Crazy Old Man and His Two Kids'
I can't believe my eyes. He's  running down the road half crazed, absolutely not a shred of decency, in front of everyone.

Am I really the only sane one in the whole family? And not just sane but responsible? I wish I had the luxury of standing around morning and night peering down the road for a glimpse of that loser who breaks all the rules and gets away with it all.

No condemnation. No punishment. No acknowledgment of how good I've been - how hard I work. How much better I am than that good for nothing who comes crawling back in desperation. I stayed. I did it all right. I never gave that old man a moments worry. Ask anybody. They'll tell you. I'm the good one.

Most everyone tells me, my father is lucky to have me. He needs me. He couldn't keep it all going if it weren't for me. He needs to get down on his knees and thank me for all I've done for him. But look at the old fool. He's on the ground, weeping uncontrollably at the knees of this loser who has crawled back home with nothing to offer but his pathetic, sorry self.

You bet he's sorry. He knows what a loser he is. I can hardly stand the sight of him. He disgusts me. He's filthy. He smells. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been wallowing in the mud with the pigs. That's his speed. I was so glad when he left. He always embarrassed me. His friends. His selfishness. His greed. His insensitivity. His immaturity. His refusal to take responsibility for his behavior. I could go on and on, but, you get the picture - everyone does.

Thank God, I didn't turn out like that. Like I said - I'm the good one. Everyone knows that. Except my father. There's just no explaining Him. He actually loves the kid. I don't understand it at all. And I sure don't approve.

But, the whole thing makes me wonder... Do you think the old man loves me like that? Don't go getting the idea I'm jealous or anything. That would be ridiculous! It's just that I've never seen him so extravagantly, outrageously happy to see anyone come home than he is over this brother of mine. Said something about 'he was lost and now he's been found'. Yippee. Did he even notice that I've never been lost? I didn't need to be found.

Just one thing, though. Don't know why I feel so dead inside. After all - I did it all right. Didn't I...?


Scripture reference: Luke 15:20  NKJV
"...But when he was yet a great distance afar, the Father saw him and had compassion on him..."

4 comments:

  1. How many times have I had the same attitude of the son that stayed home? Too many to count, I'm sure. At times when I'm acting more like the son who ran away, I'm so glad the Father is standing with His arms open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so captivated by this beautiful picture of the Father's love for us, whichever wayward child we are, He loves us with a crazy love that goes beyond all explanation! No matter what, He's always searching for us to come home. Seeing us, while still 'afar' He drops everything, shuns all rules of propriety, and runs to us, loving us all the way home! So thankful for His 'crazy love'!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lottie! I love the beauty of the Word of God and how outrageous is His love for us! I never get enough of them in the Scriptures. It's fun for me to re-write some of these stories in my own words - a great privilege, really. I think God smiles on me when I write! :)

    ReplyDelete

How are you doing on your journey with the Lord? Started yet? Still searching. My prayer is that you will be encouraged to seek after Him with all your heart. Without a doubt, you will find Him. He is searching for YOU!