Thursday, March 1, 2012

UNCONTAINABLE...

High and Lifted Up...
Who is this God?

Is God nice?
Is God comfortable?
Does He follow my rules?
Does He do what needs to be done to keep me happy?
Does He fit into the pretty box I made for Him to live in?
Does He answer my every prayer, aka, grant my every wish?
Does He do what I want, when I want it done?
Does He keep within the boundaries I set for Him, i.e., 
“don't mess with my health, my children, my favorite things?”
Does He care how He looks to me sometimes?
Does He look like me, talk like me, love like me?
Does He understand that, 
nice as the concept of forgiveness is, 
some things are just unforgivable?

or

Does He rock my boat?
Challenge me to grow beyond where I want to go?
Break all the rules I made for Him?
Bust into my life when I was trying to avoid dealing with Him?
Expect me to forgive the “unforgivable”?
Insist that He is in charge of me?
Refuse to be defined by me or contained in any way?
Insist that everything I have belongs to Him?
Own the very hairs of my head and the children around my table?
Call me to love beyond anything I feel capable of?
Deny me the very thing I prize the most?
Ask me to deny MYSELF?! Say, what?!
Ask me to suffer, as He has suffered?
Bow before Him and acknowledge He is Lord?

My God is an impossible God.

He cannot be contained, defined, limited, 
regulated, put in a box, controlled, ignored, 
over-ruled, bypassed, ridiculed, mocked, 
dishonored, forgotten, told to “back off”, 
given a list of “hands off” items I don't want Him to touch...

And yet He, 
this awesome and uncontrollable Being, 
Who is so far beyond my imagination, 
says He loves me. 
He says He died for me. 
 He says He has forgiven me. 
 He says He will never leave me. 
 He says He is preparing a place for me. 
 He says He wants me to come to Him. 
 He says He stands at the door and knocks, 
waiting for me to invite Him in. 
 He says He knows me. 
 And He loves me anyway.
He says He will never leave me or forsake me. 
 He says He understands my weakness. 
 He says He 's making me over into something new. 
 He calls me His Beloved. 
He breaks my cold, hard heart wide open 
and takes complete ownership of me...

I have never known a love like this.
Mystery beyond mystery. 
 This undefinable and magnificent God above all gods, loves me. 
Me. A sinner among sinners. 
 He is gloriously different from me. 
 How can I do anything but bow before this Glorious God and cry Holy, Holy, Holy?  
Thy Name is Holy...

“In the year that King Uzziah died, 
I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, 
high and lifted up, 
and the train of His robe filled the temple. 
 Above it stood Seraphim; each one had six wings;
 with two he covered his face, 
with two he covered his feet and with two he flew. 
 And one cried to another and said:

“Holy, Holy, Holy is the the Lord of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory.”

And the posts of the door were shaken 
by the voice of him who cried out, 
and the house was filled with smoke. 

 So I said: “Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The Lord of hosts.” Isaiah 6: 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you doing on your journey with the Lord? Started yet? Still searching. My prayer is that you will be encouraged to seek after Him with all your heart. Without a doubt, you will find Him. He is searching for YOU!