Thursday, November 1, 2012

I Am Not Ashamed...

of the Gospel of Jesus Christ,
for it is the power of God to salvation
for everyone who believes,
for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed
from faith to faith;
as it is written,
'The just shall live by faith."
Romans 1:16,17
NKJV



It has taken me most of this week to put into words the outrage I felt this past week while sitting in a “Christian” women's group, led by a pastor's wife, as she mocked the Gospel of Jesus Christ by declaring that “all religions lead to God – who are we to think that only Christianity has the answers?” 

It was my first time attending this class and I was both shocked and unprepared for what I heard being taught and agreed to by this group. These are affluent, middle class women, members of the Christian denomination that hosts this group weekly. They were quite content in their affluence – bragging about their travels around the world, where they have had the opportunity to witness people of many different religions. 

According to these women, anyone who does not see that all religions are equal doesn't see it because, the poor ignorant souls have been “programmed” to believe the teachings of the Bible. Who can believe that, they declared? Ridiculous in the minds of these ladies.

It would require much more space than I have time or room to detail the incredible number of lies that were stated in this group regarding the Bible, the Gospel, and the Person of Jesus Christ. Why then do they call themselves Christians? 

As they describe it, it is simply because they were “programmed” by families who were born into Christianity by an accident of fate. Had they been born in India they would be Hindus, in Thailand, Buddha, etc. Not to worry – the religions are just as good as Christianity to get the job done. They consider Jesus a good teacher whose teachings are worth following, whenever they agree with them. Nothing more. He is not God. He is not their Savior, because, of course, they don't need one! That's just a bunch of religious trappings that they, in their intellectual superiority and sophistication, have happily outgrown.


I challenged their beliefs, with no small measure of shock on my face, I'm sure. They approached me with smiles on their faces and patronizing, condescending looks as they tried to educate and enlighten me. Admittedly, I felt a bit like Moses asking “Why me, Lord?” I certainly didn't plan on being the one in the group who would have to defend the Gospel. And, to some extent, that's the point of my story – we do not know when or where we will be asked to defend our faith. We need to be prepared...

Maybe this is going on all over the church today, and I am just experiencing it. I suspect this is the case. If so, we who believe in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and the truth of the Word of God, must stand up for the Gospel of our Lord and Savior. We must know the Bible backwards and forwards and be prepared to defend our faith. The reason these women are so lost is because they have rejected the Word of God. They don't read it. They don't understand it. They dismiss it as if it is the Sunday Funnies. Apparently, no one ever told them that “faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the Word of God.” Romans 10:17

When I left that meeting, I went home and cried. Cried for the belittling of my Savior.  In their words, I could feel the nails being hammered into the hands and feet of Jesus all over again.

How dare we call ourselves Christians and mock the very Gospel we are called to defend. How dare we belittle the Word of God and speak glowingly of false religions. How dare we prop ourselves up in false pride and arrogance against God. We have “eaten of the apple” and bought the lie, when we set ourselves up as the ones who define for ourselves who God is. God help us to be true to the Gospel for which Jesus Christ suffered and died that we would be saved. Those who mock the Gospel, and the Savior, in the church or out of it, will pay with their eternal salvation.  God forgive us "if we fail to defend the Gospel of our salvation.

“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ...” 2 Corinthians 10: 3-5

"He said to them, "But who do you say that I Am?  Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God."  Matthew 16:5

"Jesus said to them, 'I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14:6




2 comments:

  1. I feel sadness for people who refuse to accept Jesus into their hearts . I wish they could feel what I feel . . .. pure contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Lottie - it is very sad. But, there was something more going on with these ladies. They called themselves Christians, they knew well the teaching of the Church regarding salvation and yet they were fully content in their rejection of Jesus as Savior. They mocked the Gospel very self-righteously, all the while calling themselves Christians. That is another level in rejecting Christ, I believe. They are resting in their self-induced contentment. All the way to hell.

      Delete

How are you doing on your journey with the Lord? Started yet? Still searching. My prayer is that you will be encouraged to seek after Him with all your heart. Without a doubt, you will find Him. He is searching for YOU!